Author Topic: Is the Virtua Pin digital plunger kit worth the money?  (Read 10039 times)

Offline bpjacobsen

Is the Virtua Pin digital plunger kit worth the money?
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:12:45 AM »
Hi, does anyone have the virtua pin digital plunger kit? Seems pricey but does it really allow you to bump and nudge the ball like a real table? How well does it work? Would rather get input from others before spending 130 bucks or so.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Is the Virtua Pin digital plunger kit worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't. And that's not because of any differences with vpf, but because of all the posts I've read about losing calibration, can't get it to work, etc. I've read enough of those to tell me it's a bit "iffy". I don't have 130$ anyway to spend, but I think on your own you can do better. I have an old gamepad stripped- that's my plunger, and it works well. I also have that board MJR uses for a plunger, and I use it strictly for nudging, since I already have a gamepad plunger.

Here's my plunger:
Visual Pinball Plunger

MJR's board is under 20$ and all that's required is to solidly screw it to the cabinet, and connect via usb. Then just update the firmware, and adjustments. (I call it MJR's board, but it's not FROM him. It's the one he uses).
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline noiseprisoner

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:47:14 AM »
I got the Virtua Pin kit about 2 weeks ago and have been pretty happy with it so far. It looks and feels very nice and solid. It performs fantastic on tables that were designed with mechanical plungers in mind. Others can be iffy but it generally works on most plunger tables. I'm still playing with nudging settings between vp9, pm5, and vp10 but in general, it works pretty well. Plus, it's a controller for all my other buttons which is pretty nice. Playing the old EM tables with a real plunger is pretty fantastic!

Offline dstott

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 06:01:02 PM »
Hi, does anyone have the virtua pin digital plunger kit? Seems pricey but does it really allow you to bump and nudge the ball like a real table? How well does it work? Would rather get input from others before spending 130 bucks or so.

I had many issues with my VirtuaPin V2 until I switched to the code offered in this thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30971&hl=plunger

This should be required reading for anyone considering a plunger kit or unhappy with the performance of their existing plunger.

Offline noiseprisoner

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 04:12:31 AM »

I had many issues with my VirtuaPin V2 until I switched to the code offered in this thread:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30971&hl=plunger

This should be required reading for anyone considering a plunger kit or unhappy with the performance of their existing plunger.

Agreed. I just implemented these mods and am now going through my tables and fixing up the plungers. Takes forever but it's rewarding when it works so well later!

Offline viktory2k1

• Autistic Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 04:03:32 AM »
 I bought the larest version but I am not that far in the cab department, it is finished but it took me months to learn all the visual pinball stuff. I just need to bring the cab in the house soon so I can finish it without having to use my torpedo heater to warm the garage. I seems nice. If the cab pic worked, it is kinda old. Vic

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:32:11 PM »
It looks like you're off to a good start. You may want to resize pics here though. I've always had a problem with pics being to big and resizing them automatically. I would say 1000x1000 give or take.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!