Author Topic: Making EM reels readable  (Read 4816 times)

Offline GSGregg

• Donator
Making EM reels readable
« on: April 12, 2016, 06:58:33 AM »
Does anyone remember a 1968 Bally EM called "On Beam"? In 2004, Leon Spalding did a release candidate which is now hosted at irPinball.

Progress of the player's spaceship and a space station are kept on four colored 'beams' which traverse the backglass (and were nicely rotated from horizontal to vertical and separated into two pairs to flank the VP table image); various objects either advance progress or change the beam in which the ship or station is traveling. Interesting rules scheme, but I haven't nailed it down yet, partially because the numbers in the beams are almost invisible when they are supposed to be black. Also, each digit is in its own white box (reel frame?) and the original BG had no such feature. Do you have any ideas how those are eliminated?

Sorry, no screenshots; I have three, but I can't find an "Attach" button.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Making EM reels readable
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
You don't see this? I'm not aware of any problems, you might want to refresh the page.

Try this in 9.21, I think they took out support for reels in 9.9. I also have read that Leo Wanker (Pinball Person) has blanket permission to modify. I found this in my VP Torrent folder. :Whistle:
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline GSGregg

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 02:32:18 AM »
Thanks for the screenshots, Itch, but as to the Attachments issue, I still couldn't make them load for the PM in spite of the "Attachments and  other options"...button? link? prompt?...being just as you circled it and appearing to respond until 'crunch time'. I'm going to try again, and the result will be self-evident.....
The On Beam table zip you linked is the same one I got from IRP---looks and plays the same, has the same Table Info, etc., but has almost a 49% larger file size. More script? I'll get back to it if / when I'm done here.

I think the lack of visibility of the beam characters has something to do with transparency, but I don't understand how black (or any opaque color) is supposed to turn clear. Also, are the white boxes (reel frames?) not supposed to vanish when the table is rendered?

DAMN!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:05:35 AM by GSGregg »

Offline Smudge

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 06:04:22 AM »
Testing...