Author Topic: Question about table version  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Cyclone

Question about table version
« on: October 06, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »
I am new to Visual Pinball, and am just starting to set up a new computer that will eventually go into a cabinet build. I have downloaded a number of tables from the "Rogue Pinball->Visual Pinball Releases->Full Screen Tables" section of the site. I know that these are pre-VPX tables (i.e., they are either VP8 or VP9 tables). But, as I understand it, I should only run VP8 tables with the VP8 executable, and VP9 tables with the VP9 executable. So my question is - are all of the tables in this area of the site VP9 tables, or should I instead use VP8 for any. Some tables are marked with the version number (e.g. VP9.9), but not all of them seem to be marked anywhere as far as I can tell. If a table isn't marked for a specific version of VP, is there a way I can tell which version to use. (I know that VPX tables have a .vpx extension, so I am only wondering how to distinguish VP8 tables from VP9 tables).

Also, for VP9 tables, does the specific version of VP9 matter? I have seen some stuff on the Internet that implies that not all VP9 tables will run with VP9.9.

Finally thanks to all who answer, and thanks to all the authors of these great tables.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Question about table version
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:27:13 PM »
You are correct in running vp8 tables with vp8 and vp9 with vp9 tables. But, vp8 tables won't be on your cab because vp8 won't rotate. For vp9, there are 2 versions that I would use (regarding our tables). That's 9.21 and 9.9. Older PBecker1946 tables were created in 9.2, but 9.21 will run just fine. They will run under 9.9 also, but may have graphic issues (missing images, etc).

A few of PBecker1946's early tables are vp8. They are the only vp8's we have, and are tagged as such in the download. Other than that it's either 9.21 or 9.9. VPX is in a separate section, so that should be easy. I don't use VPX myself, so I can't tell you much about it.

Hope that helps.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Cyclone

Re: Question about table version
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:25:19 AM »
Perfect. Thanks Itchigo.