Author Topic: VPX Beta  (Read 10140 times)

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
VPX Beta
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:56:26 AM »
Hey, Y'all,

VP 10 is available at VPF in BETA version. Repeat, BETA, as there are some issues that are already surfacing in the discussion.

VP10 is here (beta)

I understand there are many improvements that the VP devs have implemented in the new version. One feature is that tables can now be developed once and played either FS or in DT mode; the user can change the settings for whichever is desired. There's better lighting controls, where the end user can set whether to play it in "day" or "night" mode, which is very cool (see Scorpius' vid below). And the physics are improved ... the spinning ball on JP's Papa Smurf table reminds me of a psychedelic marble.

Anyone here checking out the VPX beta?

If you are, what syst specs do you have and how are they working for you?

I have a Win8 i5 laptop ... but am reluctant to downgrade DirectX 11 to DX9... I have apps that depend on the latest DirectX.

Alternately, I have my old XP desktop w/1 MB RAM and 256k ATI ... I'd have to take the RAM to at least 2 GB and add a better vid card; maybe $75 investment ... would that even be worth it? Or better to wait until I can invest in a better powered VP-dedicated box?

Visual Pinball 10 - beta - test table 'papa smurf' - day and night VPX
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:00:41 AM by Pintrepid »
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: VPX Beta
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
Visual Pinball 10 - Beta

*Note* Please report bugs at http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=30418

The wait is over! From now on Visual Pinball 10.0 is officially in the beta phase and you all can work/play with it and report issues if found. VP10 is different not only how it plays but also how create tables. We not only changed the graphics engine and the VP own elements but tried to improve VP in a way that it should be easier to build tables with it. Don't expect a brand new editor you won't see any big difference at first but there are subtle changes. Take a look at the changelog for more information what changed. Also we added some useful informations to the changelog how to use the changed or new elements and check out the new default table.
JPsalas created a nice original table (Papa Smurf) which you can also use as a reference for your table builds.

Again keep in mind that VP8/9 tables are loadable but not playable with VP10!

Please update not only the exe and the dlls but also the vbs files otherwise some new features won't work.

I would like to thank our alpha test team UncleWilly, JPsalas, JimmyFingers and Kruge99 for constantly checking new/changed features and for their inputs and ideas. Without you guys we wouldn't be that far!

This first beta version is ready to be used to build new tables so grab it and build tables with it. We couldn't check every combination of features so if you find something strange or buggy let us know.

I will update this post frequently if new stuff is available so it's easier for all to find everything.

Finally some credits for VP10.0
- Graphics engine/shader code - Toxie and Fuzzel
- Editor improvements - Toxie and Fuzzel
- Physics improvements - Mukuste
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline lodger

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
this is really exciting...at the same time the learning curve is going to be a bit steep...not to mention that the hardware specs seem to be climbing a bit. JP Salas' papa smurf table is pretty damn impressive and is the demo table out now for it.

I think it would be really helpful to create some demo tables that show off the new ideas specifically....its so hard to tell where one new feature begins and ends with such a big overhaul :)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
Tonight I could create a VPX Demo area in downloads if you want. :Smile: I have a friend coming over today (PBecker1946).

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:25:32 PM »
That reminds me. We need a VPX icon, STAT! You know the vp8 tables have that blue square? Something like that but unique to VPX. Anyone want to try?

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
That reminds me. We need a VPX icon, STAT! You know the vp8 tables have that blue square? Something like that but unique to VPX. Anyone want to try?

How about a silver ball, or maybe a gold one, like the Rogue, here, with a red X, kinda like Apple X ... but much better because it's RogueX!  :Green:
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:02 AM »
Just to let you know I have a download category all setup for VPX. It starts a topic in Visual Pinball Releases/VPX Releases. I didn't add an area in the forum for it because there are many places to start a topic. But I will if you guys want it. :Cool: