Author Topic: Credit Requirement for Downloading Tables  (Read 23441 times)

Offline roxy

Credit Requirement for Downloading Tables
« on: February 17, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
I am sorry but I fail to understand the credit system that keeps people from downloading tables.
I enjoy and support Rogue Pinball but I do not have any technical abilities and very little wisdom to offer the talented people of Rogue Pinball. I contribute whenever I have something worthwhile.

I wish I were young enough and smart enough to do all the amazing things that the people in the pinball community do, but that's not going to happen.  I have enjoyed real pinball for many years (especially EM games for which RP is noted) and virtual pinball has allowed that enjoyment to continue.  I hope some modification can be made so tables can be downloaded once again without credits.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Credit Requirement for Downloading Tables
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:59:17 AM »
I appreciate your opinion Roxy. I know not everyone can make a table, fewer still are any good at it. But since I opened, there has always been very little participation of any kind. I don't charge for anything here, and while I have had a few donations here and there, it's not enough to pay site costs, I do that myself. But this is not about that. I've put a lot of hours in here to make it what it is. When everyone joins and doesn't participate, I ask myself "why am I doing this if no one cares"?

Post a topic, reply to a topic, post a comment on a download, these are things anyone can do. I don't expect everyone to gab all the time, but there's a difference between that and nothing. An occasional comment or reply is all you need, is that so much to ask? I thought about this a couple years ago, but never did it. I finally decided to do it as I was asking myself what was the point of staying open if no one cares?

BTW, just posting this topic gave you 10 downloads. :Content:
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline roxy

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »
Thank you Itchigo for your response and I appreciate your consideration.  I had the mistaken idea there was 1 credit earned per comment, etc.  10 seems quite fair.  For my error, I earned 10 credits - pretty good.  With all the mistakes I make, I should “earn” lots of credits in no time.  😃

I have tried to rate, usually 5 stars, when I download a table and I am amazed how often no one else has done so.  As for comments, I'll try to do a better job.

However, appreciation can not be quantified by solely measuring participation.
Thank you for all your effort.  Roxy

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:07 PM »
Not as problem. :Smile:

I'm not sure about the rating system, and how effective it is. I don't think rating a table gives you anything, but I have never used ratings when downloading anything myself. Rating 5 stars is a pat on the back to an author, but I have never used it to decide if I should download a table or not, I've always gone by the screenshot.

Not everyone can make a table, but for uploading anything, including a wheel, gets you 25 credits. If someone downloads the item you uploaded, you get the credit they paid for it, every time it's downloaded. I wanted to make it where you didn't have to be posthappy, but had to show some sign of life. I think I found a good balance. :Whistle:

When we opened it seemed people went out of their way not to post. They'd PM me about a table that had issues, but the tables weren't mine. The tables in "Itchy's Cab" mostly came from other sites, that would not allow someone to repost them. But I either downloaded or made a backglass for them and shared them as a pair, ready to go. But I never claimed ownership of anything (except for the one's I really made). So I set it up so you could go to a page and pick out what you like, just by table name. My cab has been up there a couple years, and no one's ever complained.

At 794 tables I think I have the largest vp9 collection of working 2 screen tables, with no duplicates. I have another 25 to add, but haven't had time... I even have all the dreaded Sam's in there. The ones that will stop the earth from spinning, you know.  :Excellent:

And you're right, participation does not equal appreciation. But I thought it was time to "nudge the universe in the right direction" a bit. :Wink:

Offline roxy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
I know well of all of your Itchy’s cab, BG, PF, and WA files, and they have been a great help for me to install many tables on my cabinet.  Since I have zero computer skills, it was a real blessing for me to have everything in one place.  I felt like I struck gold when I discovered your table list.  What a great and helpful idea. 
Onward and upward.

Offline Slydog43

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »
Do I get credits for posting this thread?   I can upload my DMD image wheels that I created I guess if that would help.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 08:52:37 PM »
Do I get credits for posting this thread?   I can upload my DMD image wheels that I created I guess if that would help.

You do! You get credits by starting OR replying to a thread, as well as uploading.

Offline halen

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
Thanks Itchigo for this great Website

Offline halen

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 06:04:02 AM »
I'm just a pinball player. I can make some changes at the tables but just simple things. I contribute to several pinball sites and suggest that the contribution to be given could make it easier to download the tables. I do not have much to help and so it is difficult to contribute to the development of virtual pinba

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
Halen, you're contributing right now! Not many people can make a table or work on them. Fewer still are any good- that's fine. Just by participating you are contributing. :Cool:

Offline greynurse

• A toilet is just a stage we pass through
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 06:10:15 AM »
I'm all good with the credit system. I think I just like the colour of my own text.  :Green:
Cheers,

Nursie

Offline w312

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 02:56:02 PM »
contributing... is easy just say hi

Offline wwwombat

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
Finally getting back in the swing of creating my pinball cabinet (as nagged to by my son). On the arcade machine I always had a (desktop version) favourite of Soccer (1964) and bugger me if I didn't now find it (fullscreen version) and a backglass on this site. Tried to use my 1 credit that I must have been granted just by registering and the internet in my place went down so I lost that. When it came back, I went to read about this credit system and stumbled across this thread. Hopefully this post allows me to go grab it ;o) Many thanks guys!

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
Hello and welcome! Yep, that post should get you 10 downloads. And to my knowledge, we are the only site that has that Soccer game.

Offline bsanders

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2018, 09:40:13 PM »
Looking to download Diamond Lill.  Was request from my father.   Very cool to see it recreated.