Author Topic: What do you think about the roms controversy?  (Read 144 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
What do you think about the roms controversy?
« on: November 22, 2018, 08:25:54 AM »
So VPF pulled it's Gottlieb roms. Another site had a 22 million dollar judgement against them for Nintendo roms.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/bjezda/couple-who-ran-rom-site-to-pay-nintendo-dollar12-million

I said this 3 years ago at Vpinball.com
Iíll say this again. Eventually some misguided individual is going to go to the wrong person and convince them that money is being lost, and thatíll be the end. Is your cab backed up??? Do you not need any more tables?

Supposedly Gottlieb wants $50,000 per rom, is that really worth it????

I should say that I have never hosted roms here. There were many other sites that had them, so I figured I didn't need the liability. I guess I was right.  :Green:
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Humid

Re: What do you think about the roms controversy?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
The ongoing increase in digital sales and digital products has caught up to this hobby. Years ago no one expected a resurgence in retro game sales. I predicted years ago, as I harvested old console roms from sites that it wouldn't last forever. Mainly because they don't make games as imaginatively and fun as they once did. Hence the return of the Charger, Mustang and Camaro automobiles that reflect the fun styling of the past. Glad I have all my Gottlieb roms tucked away.