Author Topic: Williams/Bally ROMs  (Read 5430 times)

Offline kencaine

Williams/Bally ROMs
« on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:27 AM »
With the recent pulling of the Gottlieb ROMs I begin to think of Zen's acquisition of the WMS/Bally license. Do they own the ROMs and could they pull the ROMs to force VP uses to pay for the ROM usage or to buy the Zen games? It would seem that VP would be the main competition for games. Why pay Zen when you can get the VP game for free? Zen keeps the cost low, down to about $3 per game so very reasonable to purchase.

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Re: Williams/Bally ROMs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:35 PM »
You could be right ...

I've only recently gotten into Visual Pinball X. The upgrades are spectacular! Many VPX recreations are as good, sometimes even better, than certain premium tables.

It's very interesting to see some tables that were created in VPX. These include tables that clearly have licensed content in their themes: Jersey Jack's The Wizard of Oz, many of the Stern (modern-day Stern) tables, even Stern's Beatles: Beatlemania. While I can see why these tables are very popular with the VP community, it just seems like an invite for property owners to raise a red flag and demand to take it down ... for some of them, it directly competes with their digital pinball products!

It's hard to say where things will go from here.
-PeterMac

Offline kencaine

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 09:38:13 AM »
Well, now another twist to the ROM controversy, maybe. Stern just released that their next machine will be a Black Knight. Will that effect the Zen license for the Williams games or even just Black Knight? And if TPA has the Stern license agreement does that mean they can make a Black Knight 3 table with the WIlliams license? Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone and let the lawyers duke it out.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:48:43 PM »
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!