Author Topic: Have You Ever Seen This Pinball Table?  (Read 23373 times)

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Re: Have You Ever Seen This Pinball Table?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »
Wow, dude, I ain't never seen any games like that! Talk about weird!

It used to be back in my arcade days that I could play several games on 1 quarter on tables that I was familiar with.

But on this here machine, I think it would be frustrating as hell for awhile until I got used to playing the reflection part and not the actual PF part! ;D

Cool find, dude! Thanks!
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:34 AM »
That Star Shooter table looks very interesting! Looks like something I would want to recreate in VP if I had the time!

I thought I remember seeing it at that place which shall not be named, for it will unleash a terrible curse.... ;) I don't have it, I thought I remember seeing it there, probably vp8.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline sleepy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:49 PM »
The mirror was actually no problem as the playfield was aligned inversely to the mirror, while the printing on the Bumpers and playfield and other parts was similarly inverted relative to the mirror, so everything appeared normal and upright in the reflection.

But the advantage of the mirror was that it gave the ball the illusion of floating in deep water, or deep space, though the ball still moved at a more or less normal speed on a mini-playfield. The ball was also slightly smaller than regular pinballs, in order to stay proportional to the illusion of the playfield.

That reminds me of the game Krull, but there it was a normal lower deck mini-playfield with a normal sized ball just like Gottlieb's Black Hole, except that this Krull lower playfield was viewed through a reduction lens for the window which made everything look much smaller in the lower deck playfield.
I was lucky to have seen Krull also as it was placed at a major Southern California test location for the arcade distributor Betson Pacific, now Betson International. The location was Mar Vista Bowling in the late 70's through mid 80's and they at that time would have 5 or 10 brand new pinball designs on location Every Thirty Days, and they were open 24/7 back then.
The games that caught on stayed on as long as they made money while the losers were replaced with the next batch.
So when the machine disappeared from sight the next month, it was a pretty good indication that it was never going to be seen again/cancelled for production.

The Krull pinball machine was placed as a working prototype, but did not make the money from the players necessary to approve the design for commercial release and it was dumped the following month. I only played it once.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:03:08 AM by sleepy »

Offline faralos

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
Betsons in Jersey also had the Krull Prototype for a short while
until they said a short in it blew out the boards then they got rid of it
 and it never went into any commercial establishments from what I gathered
also the now defunct Fun and Games Arcade that used to reside at the Willowbrook mall in Wayne NJ
used to get the  newest pins/video games even ones that were not really ready for 'prime time' yet
so they had it too for a little while
they also had a coin-op video game thingie (Sega?) that used a hologram in it called I think Time Traveler
that thing always broke down so I never got the chance to play it but it looked cool when it was up and running
which wasn't that often unfortunately
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline sleepy

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
That was the SEGA Holoseum(sp?) and it used a curved mirror to display the monitor; to give the game "a 3D-like" appearance. The monitor was mounted facing upward into the mirror.

Offline bigian

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 06:17:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 06:44:00 AM by bigian »

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:46 AM »
I actually remember Varkon! (used to be an operator).

Howdy!
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!