Author Topic: Good Things coming, Just you wait..  (Read 9472 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Good Things coming, Just you wait..
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:47 AM »
I've been kind of busy with real life so things are a bit slow here. We have some things planned for you guys. One thing we're batting around is pinball crossword puzzles on the site. Another is taking old vp8 tables, redrawing them and rebuilding them. Stuff without intricate artwork that's easy to redraw, like old em's. Many of these old vp8's play just fine, so it's an easy build. These will be 4:3 and fs. Hopefully b2s when it's available.

Currently being worked on are :
The Six Million Dollar Man
Olympics (Never done in vp before- this is a Rogue Premier!!)

This is aside from these originals.:
Quicksilver
The Tomb
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Re: Good Things coming, Just you wait..
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:16:39 PM »
Well, the "week of hell" is over (1st of the quarter as well as first of the month) so maybe I can actually get in an hour or so of gameroom time. Gonna put all of the FS B2S tables on the ol' desktop and give them a test, then post about them as time permits.

I like the idea of the VP8 Tables. Some VP8s are cool, like rob's Bally Mystic. He has a new super-clean and elegant VP9 version ... but it doesn't have the "character" that his older VP8 did. Same holds true for Seawitch. UWs VP9 version is a qualitatively superior table, but kristian's VP8 Seawitch was the first VP version that I played, and the first to bring memories of the actual table I played in '81. The new VP9s are definitely superior .. but many of the VP8s continue to hold a place in my VP Virtual Game Room. Ain't no need to toss the old tables just because something new and flashy comes around.

Many other things to do with pinball, but just have to schedule the time.

Speaking of such ... drop me a PM sometime Itch ... let me know how the new job is and what your new sched is like!
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »
To make Grand Prix I did just this. Replaced the art and objects and left the code intact. As Ash has let people work on his old tables, the rest played great, and I was allowed to share. :)
PM sent. Essentially my job is the same as the old one, but for a new company. I work for a different contractor, same account. So, I can still play vp on the job. ;D  Especially working weekends when there's no boss around lol. I'm told as long as I'm caught up, I can relax. And, weekends are slower too. Today I moved 9 trailers in 12 hours. For comparison my fastest time was 14 trailers in 35 minutes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 08:00:05 PM by Itchigo »

Offline Rukia

• The Rogue Queen of VP!
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:34:26 AM »
Okay, okay!  Enough bragging Itch!

Rukia
 ::)
Y'all behave yourselves or I'll have to smack ya's!

Offline shimoda

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
Just joined Itchigo, came over from vpuniverse to see what's up here and grab the b2s template hopefully.  This idea about translating undone VP8 tables might be a good place for me to get started messing with VP.  Perhaps there could be an ongoing list of VP8 tables that need to be done (unless there is one here I'm not familiar with).
Roll with it...

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Good to see you! Nice to see some vpu members. I'm not trying to steal anyone away, I think there's enough room for all. Unfortunately if I share too much there's no reason to be here.
I do have a bunch of vp8's in my drive that most of which could be brought to vp9/fs. Anything by Ash or Leo Wanker- they have given permission to work on their stuff. Even so, building in 2 windows, side by side, using the old one as a reference works too. Unfortunately I haven't taught myself graphics yet, so I tried to confine myself to the ones that took very little to redraw.

Offline shimoda

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:36:18 PM »
Since I'm starting this process working on some art anyway, and learning more about how to use Illustator, maybe tell me a couple I should focus on (vp8).  I should have them all afaik and could try doing the art for one or two.
Roll with it...

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
That would be AWESOME! I have one I started, I'll e mail it to you. :gamer: Actually, I could put it in this thread.

Offline Pinball Buzz

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:01 AM »
Like the idea re the old vp8 tables Itchy.
Your Olympics will be a real treat.
Those tables of Leo's deserve a VP 9 makeover for sure.
If you need a beta tester anytime the cab is ready and waiting ;D
Buzz

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
Sure! What I lack is artists. I suck at art, and many of those vp8's, you could just redraw the images, and replace the objects (posts/rubbers)(without moving them), and recycle the coding- done! That's exactly how I made Grand Prix, and that turned out well. :cheers:

Offline faralos

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 09:24:02 AM »
do you have a list of these vp8's that need redoing?
I can replace posts and such even redo some of the artwork
 as long as I actually don't have to draw anything!
my drawing expertise also leaves much to be desired!
but I can use Gimp and PS to redo some stuff
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline shimoda

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 09:46:23 AM »
After playing NASCAR for real, I'd like to see it redone, heck maybe even in FP if the Unity3D thing comes to pass.  I was looking at redoing the artwork but need to get ahold of Destruk/TAB to get permission to redo in VP9.  The VP8 version definitely needs some tweaks to physics to get it to play more real, the ball moves much faster in real life and the right ramp shots are much harder to nail.
Roll with it...

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »
For Nascar if we built it ourselves we wouldn't need permission. If we reused his coding, and replaced artwork and objects, yes we would. That's about the only way I can do vpm as I don't know vpm coding. But I have many irons in the fire atm. I'm currently working on/finishing:
Distant World
Quicksilver
Olympics
The Tomb

Started: Satin Doll (Will be Pat Hand also).
Six Million Dollar man

Faralos, what I really need is redraws, I can build and code with the best of them now..... :ebay:

Offline shimoda

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
Destruk returned my pm to him saying that all tables by he and TAB were free to mod.  Should make it easier.
Roll with it...

Offline shimoda

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 09:11:54 PM »
Sorry I didn't get with you tonight. I had a literally traumatic experience at our coin op shop while buying a plunger unit.  Blood on my hands, literally.  Still having trouble shaking the experience.  Guy fell or something, gashed his head open and started having violent seizures.  Blood was all over the place.

I do plan on working on light images and other parts of the playfield this week. 
Roll with it...