Author Topic: Pinball Expo 2013  (Read 7348 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Pinball Expo 2013
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
As another year comes to a close, I'll start by posting these pics.

That's Gary Stern and I, after his speech.

My wip Quicksilver- 3 years in the making, by Pintrepid and I, signed by Steve Ritchie (top), Gary Stern (left), and George Gomez (Right). Steve actually asked if this was one of his designs!

All were very nice. Gary is someone I'd have a beer with, he seems so relaxed. It seems he has the same pastimes as I do- Pinball, and Beer. He mentioned beer several times in his speech. :Cool:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:52:06 PM by Itchigo »
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Rukia

• The Rogue Queen of VP!
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Pinball Expo 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 07:36:39 AM »
Itchy playing pinball at the Expo.  The man is concentrating hard.  Totally rocked it...as usual!

Rukia
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:05:23 PM by Itchigo »
Y'all behave yourselves or I'll have to smack ya's!

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
Well the expo has come and Gone once again. Although I had a lot of fun, it wasn't as robust as last year. There were definitely less games there this year, but a higher percentage were working this time. Still, it was just ok in terms of selection. Many I would've liked to see weren't there (personal favorites). But many I have recreated were, so it was fun to compare the two.

Among the highlights were seeing a Stern Galaxy, and Stern Meteor in whiteboard (only four made of each), specially made for the Olympics. T-800 was also there with Wrath of Olympus (real game). I have to say that it played pretty well imo, I would've strengthened the flippers a bit (I think he said he turned them down to save wear and tear). Also the ramp on the right needed to be modded just a bit, so you could hit it from the left flipper. You have to understand here, that the real version is slightly different than the vp version. Also there was a reflection that made seeing the upper ramp difficult. Especially at a low angle it was hard to "see over everything" to see the ramp. Overall though, aside from those two things, it was a great playing game, worthy of being mass produced. Along with T-800, I got to meet Luvthatapex. It's always nice to put a face to the name.

I tried to take pictures of the game that either hadn't been done in vp, or needed a better version made. By the way- I suck at photography.. (Lol). Hopefully there's something useful here.

I also got to talk to the Stern Brass (Gary Stern, Steve Ritchie, and George Gomez), all of who were very nice. All three even signed my picture of my wip Quicksilver, which is a tribute to the original made by Stern in 1980. I was somewhat able to answer the age old question about recreating sam tables, directly from Gary himself. While technically "we're not supposed to use anything from Stern, as it's copyrighted", what he was most concerned about was the new Sterns. How new, he didn't say. But I'd venture a guess, that if it's being worked on/just released, we should hold back. Outside of if it's been out for a while, it shouldn't be as bad. Again, I wasn't able to get a timeframe, but common sense is the best option here imo. Also if he gives a timeframe, he's limiting his options too. After all, he used to be a lawyer.

I also found out they just hired a new designer, literally starting Monday. I was actually working on this position, but they want someone out of school, younger than I am (47). (I would've had to learn CAD too, but I could've done that easily). So, despite that they respect my work, it's back to the traileryard for me (at least for another year...). This new designer is being groomed/trained by the senior designers, presumably to one day take over.

It pretty much seemed the same vendors were there as the last two years. I bought a tile mchanism, and some different color buttons for my cab.

So that's it, it was still fun, even though things went up 5$ more this year (25$). Had I not taken so many pictures, I could've played more. But still, I guess it was worth it to be able to play all the old classics that were there. I'll do it again next year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:15:09 PM by Itchigo »

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
That is so cool that all three of the Stern Guys signed the Quicksilver table  :Yahoo: I never thought it would get such an honor when I did the art for you. Oh, be sure to let ... you told me who did the backglass, but I can't remember who ... know, as they made the backglass, which helps makes the table.

Well ... we'll have to see about making another table, a variation on one of the old Stern classics, then. Stargazer, maybe?  :Cool:

I'll look for you in chat ... that is, if we have no more OT  :Rolleyes:

Cain't wait to see the picts. Can even "clean 'em up" for you if you'd like.

-Peter
-PeterMac

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
PS:

I see that someone had marked parts of the print you made. Four squares below the area where the ball goes into the upper playfield, and another mark below the lower bumper, at the back of the Quicksilver Lady's head.

For the left, it looks like someone might have suggested adding another set of drop targets?

As for the QS Lady ... let me guess ... inconsistency! The band around her head is yellow here when, in the upper playfield, the band was correctly rendered as white, yes? I can see where these pros might point out "little things" like that. I should be used to it ... it gets very picky like that in commercial printing.
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Those were drawn by George Gomez. George thought there should be more to shoot at with 4 flippers, so he added the 4 squares. I didn't agree because we have targets on both sides, and a center piece. The square in front of the bumper is something to protect the bumper. He said "we never leave a bumper unprotected".

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »
Here's some pics of Wooly. On the left- T-800, on the right- Luvthatapex.

Offline faralos

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:15:29 AM »
bully for Wooly!! cool pin by its looks
wooly bully?
SAM THE SHAM & THE PHAROAHS - 1965 - "Wooly Bully"
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »
It's been  too long since I went to the expo again. I'll have to try and get there in 2014 or 15. Meeting Russ Jensen there was just an absolute blast.

Mark Weyna was there as well and worked for Bally for a good amount of years. He was selling some of his tabletop flipperless machines and I wish I had the money to buy all of them. He had a Planetball and Little Leland there going for about $650 each which is VERY cheap since they were made in 1933.

I almost bought a Watling Blue Seal machine there for $250 but it was way too massive to load into my grandmother's buick century. DAMN.

It is a fun gathering to say the least. That's where I played Gameplan's Agents 777 and it rocked.

W
RETIRED from VP on 2014.
UNRETIRED from VP as of 07/12/2019.

20+ YEARS as a Visual Pinball author. Wow, how time flies.