Author Topic: Cash For Clunkers with FIRE!  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Cash For Clunkers with FIRE!
« on: May 10, 2013, 01:59:27 AM »
I'm sure y'all heard about the Cash For Clunkers program that our bright boy, Obama, put into effect in 2010. If you had a decent registered and ensured vehicle, but it was getting less than 18 mpg, then you could trade it in for $4,500 to be used to purchase a brand new, more fuel efficient vehicle.

The cars that were traded in were pretty decent, even some cars were later models, as late as 2005.

The really stupid part is that the dealers had to "disable" the engines so that they could not be resold, as some dealers tried to do at the beginning. So when a trade-in arrived at the dealer, they drained the oil and put in this liquid stuff instead which would become increasingly solid the hotter it got. They then had to run the engine until it seized up solid, rendering it permanently disabled.

Here's a compilation of some of these "engine disablements" ..

Cash For Clunkers - FIRE!!
-PeterMac

Offline GSGregg

• Donator
Re: Cash For Clunkers with FIRE!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23:45 AM »
Well, lemme see.....700,000 x $4500 = $31,500,000,000 freshly printed U.S. dollars; so much for saving the trees, eh?

"HEY, FLOYD! Just stack'em over there next to the mortgage bailout money while I figure out where I want to spend it!" :yell:

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Cash For Clunkers with FIRE!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
You know, I never got that. This just shows the "lefts" disdain for cars. It's a good thing to provide a way to get a better, more efficient car. I don't think anyone here is against clean air. But they must be DESTROYED and quickly forgotten about too? No, this was about getting people to fall in line with the "green" crap. You know what? If I need a truck, I'll drive a damn truck- not a Metro!! I may not drive it as much if I don't need it, but I'm not going to do without it entirely.

Another thing, did you know the money you got from the program you had to declare as income? Look it up. The only way it made sense to do this is if you had a "last legs" junker worth 100$.

(For the record- disclosure: I used to own a pickup, I used it when I needed a truck, or as a spare car. Nor am I ashamed I used to own a truck either). :banghead: :yell:
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!