Author Topic: What is this new work mentality?  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
What is this new work mentality?
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
I have  a work ethic second to none. I haven't called in sick in 26 years, and have always gone "above and beyond". What I see from younger people today (most of them, there are a few good ones) is that they want to do as little as possible and get a check for it. By contrast, for all the extra time and effort I have put in I have benefited very little from it. From my last few companies/customers I'm starting to see this mentality of "if you're not working yourself into the ground, you're not working". What's up with that? This mentality is counterproductive in my opinion. My current customer (won't say the name) everyone runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off or what I have dubbed as "Chicken Little Syndrome". Because of this mentality mistakes are made, quite frequently. While the cases per hour, or cube per hour is important, it adds such pressure when it's unnecessarily raised. This didn't always used to be this way.

Also added are safety concerns. When you're working that close to the edge, things will happen. I only use my current customer as an example, but they are not the only ones. So when did it become this way? I remember working in a warehouse, and getting my work done quickly so I could relax a bit. Sure, I CAN work at 110% if the situation warrants it, but not for a 12 hour shift. Unfortunately the economy is such that they'll just get someone else- because they can.

So what do you think?
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Rukia

• The Rogue Queen of VP!
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: What is this new work mentality?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 07:42:35 AM »
You can't control what others do.  You can only control what you do. 

Rukia
Y'all behave yourselves or I'll have to smack ya's!

Offline faralos

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
if its any consolation the jobs all near me suck when it comes to the pay rate
a warehouse position is usually around minimum wage or up to $9/hour
even though I have over twenty years experience it does not seem to matter to the HR's
and then most of the jobs are for the graveyard shift at that
 so crap money and one must work odd hours if one can even get the job!
swing shifts are starting to become the norm too and my body can't handle swing shifts at all
so I am still not working and the money is all gone now
so now I am forced to start selling personal items like my Hubley model collection
(all unbuilt and in their original packaging), inherited by me when my Dad passed away in '09
and my huge Avon Stein collection of which I own over a hundred of them
so yes the job market does indeed suck nowadays
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
I have  a work ethic second to none. I haven't called in sick in 26 years, and have always gone "above and beyond". What I see from younger people today (most of them, there are a few good ones) is that they want to do as little as possible and get a check for it. By contrast, for all the extra time and effort I have put in I have benefited very little from it. From my last few companies/customers I'm starting to see this mentality of "if you're not working yourself into the ground, you're not working". What's up with that? This mentality is counterproductive in my opinion. My current customer (won't say the name) everyone runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off or what I have dubbed as "Chicken Little Syndrome". Because of this mentality mistakes are made, quite frequently. While the cases per hour, or cube per hour is important, it adds such pressure when it's unnecessarily raised. This didn't always used to be this way.

Also added are safety concerns. When you're working that close to the edge, things will happen. I only use my current customer as an example, but they are not the only ones. So when did it become this way? I remember working in a warehouse, and getting my work done quickly so I could relax a bit. Sure, I CAN work at 110% if the situation warrants it, but not for a 12 hour shift. Unfortunately the economy is such that they'll just get someone else- because they can.

So what do you think?

The problem here is that you're working for another person. Plain and simple. 99% of those you work for don't give a flying **** about you - they just want to make money off of you in the long run. No matter what job you have, you're supporting the "boss" before yourself.

I worked for a company for three years before I was "let go" because they wanted to get rid of 2nd shift. 2 years later, come to find out 2nd shift is back and now 3rd shift is underway. They never called me back, but the owner of this company was so rude that one day I yelled at him for his vulgarity to a pizza driver that was simply trying to get a pizza to the person that ordered it. I told him "I'll be right back" and I came back and found the owner of the factory standing not far from the kid who was waiting for the person to pay for the pizza.

A few seconds later, that boss said "alright, who ordered a G** DAMN MOTHER ****ING PIZZA?" My eyes went wide, then anger set in. I walked right over to him and told him "watch your mouth. Do you talk to your mother or your kids like that? The man here is just trying to do his job. If you have a problem with that, take a hike." That's EXACTLY what I told him. I've never seen a jaw drop to the floor like it was with him, but I was PROUD to stand up for the "little guy" just trying to make a buck so he could pay his bills.
As the person paid for their pizza, the kid started to walk out and he turned to me and mouthed "thank you" and I was so happy to oblige.

Anyway, it's the businesses and the bosses that are really out there. If I EVER get back to work I hope it will be "paid under the table" as I really can't deal with many of the people they call "bosses". I have a few ideas for other things to do to be my own boss but have yet to get the funds to start it. I hope it happens as I would like to see those dreams come true at least.

"1 spark of hope is a ray of sunshine to a single person that is determined to aspire to his dreams."
Yes, I made that up myself.  :Yahoo:

I haven't had work in about 4 years. I am LUCKY to live with someone that has a heart and cares about me and my situation. I AM THANKFUL. VERY THANKFUL. What I have, I am happy with. I am content. I'm never lonely with my friend and my kitty "Tatum" who is always seeking attention from me.

Some things are hard to deal with but it's best to mete out the impossible with possibility. What is impossible is not. What is possible is not. Life is like a double edged sword and over the years, those cuts can run deep. Just keep the faith and do what you know is right to survive.

Sometimes a good cry can help. I've done this numerous times over the last 4 years and it can help. When the fog in your brain lifts, that cry can be the best outlet for inner peace. Listen to some music, play some VP, eat a nice meal. There is so much that can be good and you must find ways to enjoy it. Believe me, I'll find whatever I can to make my non working schedule more acceptable. It's all I can do until the right time comes.

You're a good egg Tim. Don't let little things like that bother you too much. Trust me, it's not worth the anger or irritation that comes with it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:12:48 AM by Druadic »
RETIRED from VP on 2014.
UNRETIRED from VP as of 07/12/2019.

20+ YEARS as a Visual Pinball author. Wow, how time flies.