Author Topic: FP V VP: My Take  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
FP V VP: My Take
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
I've played VP and Fp destop for a while now. Predominantly VP, I admit. But now that I have a cab, I can run both, and speak objectively about how I feel.

I have to say that FP does look good- almost too good (imo), almost bordering on "fake". Yes, I know, these are all "fakes". But I have to say, something just didn't feel "right" about Fp. Mind you I'm well aware that it can vary from game to game, and I'm NOT talking physics either. Who knows, it could even be psycologically I'm looking at it differently because it's not VP. I hope that's not the case, and I don't think it is, but I had to put it out there to be fair. I really didn't see the weird physics everyone is talking about, but I'm using the 2.5 physics with Bam, and the play seemed ok to me. Again, this will vary from game to game.

Vp to me just felt a bit more real. Maybe physics, maybe looks I don't know. Am I trying to crap all over FP, hardly. I did have a bit of "microstutter though. I have a fairly decent system, I5, 16g ram, and a 1g card (GTX280). But I think FP is a good pinball program overall. I have not tried to build in Fp yet, but I've always wanted to try. The editor is supposed to be much easier to use, but the coding is a bit different. But maybe that's what I like about the Vp editor- it's a challenge. You have to "fake" everything. Fp is already pre-done for you.

Mind you I won't stop using Fp, I'll mainly be looking for games not done in Vp though. Since a friend just set me up in that department, I think that'll be a good many games....

Keep your balls where you can see them....
Itchy
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline GSGregg

• Donator
Re: FP V VP: My Take
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Keep your balls where you can see them....
.....but carry a taser in case the neighbor's pitbull gets loose.....(ARPH !!)

Offline faralos

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »
coming to the defense of BULL Terriers everywhere
 a PIT bull is a dog trained to fight a BULL TERRIER is the dog you refer to
I had a friend a few years back (moved to tennessee) who owned the friendliest pink nosed Bull Terrier
one could ever hope to meet he was a playful dog who loved kids(and not just to eat)
he was a pup who didn't know his own strength but played anyways with us
 always knocking us over but in a friendly way and he LOVED to play fetch
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline dboyrecords

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:16 AM »
I get what you're saying about "fake" look but I think that's kinda coming from the vp photos.

For about a year I was fp only (couldn't/didnt install vp) and was happy as a clam. Then I tried vp again... and was blown away! So, to me, in vp, visually, the highs are higher and the lows are lower than in fp. Tables like T2 and Pinucks are as or more stunning than Popettes beautiful fp tables.

The other big scale tipper was vpinmame. That alone makes those tables win in vp everytime. Unity might change all of that (read up on that one if you haven't). Also, Rav creator of BAM, is talking about making his own editor.  That is a smart dude, watch for that!

And that's my $0.02!