Poll

Should PBecker1946 build in both VP8 and VP9?

Yes keep building in both.
2 (50%)
No VP9 only.
2 (50%)
No VP8 only.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: More desktop tables coming  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
More desktop tables coming
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
For a while now Phil (PBecker1946) has been uploading to Pinball Nirvana his desktop versions. I've been making FS versions out of them and letting JPH have the desktops to support him. While nothing has changed about my feelings for JPH and PN, I've decided to host the desktops here as well as at PN. I still continue to support IRP and PN (which JPH pays for), but we will have the tables also. I also support VPU but they are doing quite well on their own.

How many tables? Well, Phil's done 25 so far this year, and if he finishes everything he's started by the end of the month it'll be 29! And they said JP was fast....

Now a question: Phil builds in VP8 and VP9. At PN I've looked at the download numbers. It's about 1/3 lower for VP8. No idea if VP8 was clicked by accident or not. Should he continue to build in VP8 or just move to VP9 entirely?
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Re: More desktop tables coming
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »
Well, I think VP9 looks and plays better than VP8, even if modding an old VP8 table. The physics are also improved ... if I'm not mistaken ... in VP9. And ... there's no more of that aggravating ball-through-the-flipper curse.

Go with VP9!  :Cool:
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:31:10 PM »
I'm bumping this since no one's voting.... :Rolleyes:

Offline faralos

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:05 AM »
I still play even older vp6 pins on my computers!
 so let's not get rid of vp8 just yet as I also have two wip's being made in vp8 format
The Dogtown pin and the MJ tribute one are both being made with vp8
 and if everyone retires that program then not too many people will be able to play these
 IF I ever get them done that is...
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »
I have no idea why any author would still use VP8, but so be it. I've still got VP6 on a flash drive somewhere but I've currently moved to VP9.2.1 r866 and it's just fine. Seems to work better than 8 anyway. :Banghead: In all honesty I didn't even know this poll was posted Itchigo. Sorry about that but I did vote anyway.

No one is voting because I think the reason is no one gives a shit. Same goes for the few bingos I made and the three flippered updates so I've slowed down so much that I don't even have to worry about it anymore. I haven't used VP in 2 weeks and haven't barely started a new table anyway.

Once folks start talking, voting and posting I will then put more tables up. I think it sucks that folks just suck at the "proverbial tit" of "free" of Visual Pinball and have no respect for the authors with a "thank you" or "nice work". It was NEVER like this in the past, but of course the past is past but it goes to show folks just don't give a flying F**K.

You can bet the next VP table I make will be locked internally as well as the RAR or ZIP file. I'm currently looking into the "changing password" RAR program where if you try to use the same password the file deletes itself.

I'm right now enjoying replaying Hexen II and Devastation on my desktop so I have no issues with not releasing anything at MUCH LATER dates. No big deal to me. I know most folks don't give a damn about desktop releases so I have no problems.

PS: I WAS going to put up all my VP9 tables to Rogue but what's the point? Too much work on my end. Most of them are at PN anyway and I'm sure some of them need to be updated but I can wait longer than any folks that don't care.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:38:34 PM by Druadic »
RETIRED from VP on 2014.
UNRETIRED from VP as of 07/12/2019.

20+ YEARS as a Visual Pinball author. Wow, how time flies.

Offline Scorpion

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
To Druadic....
I am very sad to see you so frustrate...I am old, I like old pinballs and Bingos, and I hope you make more modern Bingos, like BOUNTY, but I know that these need very hard work for coding scripts...I thank you for your good work, do not stop please. :Cool: :Cool:
Adolfo from Roma Italy

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
Thanks Scorpion. He's talking about the lack of participation here, that people are mainly here for the downloads and don't post anything. Unfortunately it's this way on all sites.

I won't stop building though. :Smile: