Author Topic: Should we do memberships at Rogue?  (Read 14927 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Should we do memberships at Rogue?
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:15 AM »
I've really wrestled with this as the LAST thing I want to do is turn this place into a vpf. But it would be nice to cover the hosting costs. I'm really not sure what direction to go with this, so I need input. The first thing I though of is a straight $5 a year for downloads. Kind of a "pay as you go" mentality. There's no need for tiered memberships as I don't cut the speed for anyone.

I'd like to hear some input on this please.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
Re: Should we do memberships at Rogue?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
I've really wrestled with this as the LAST thing I want to do is turn this place into a vpf. But it would be nice to cover the hosting costs. I'm really not sure what direction to go with this, so I need input. The first thing I though of is a straight $5 a year for downloads. Kind of a "pay as you go" mentality. There's no need for tiered memberships as I don't cut the speed for anyone.

I'd like to hear some input on this please.

I'm sorry I haven't been around so much; been playing a ton of games and doing other things to get some $ in my pocket.

In all honesty Tim, it's up to you. You're the owner and perhaps it might be a good idea. I of course couldn't afford even that but for those that like the idea I say go for it. Will keep out the "riff raff" so to speak I guess.

Just my two cents. I think I can actually afford that.

PS: If the govt is actually going to impose the "china login" type of web and internet next month, this might not help you. Just FYI as to what is going on. God only knows what will happen.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:08:05 PM by Druadic »
RETIRED from VP on 2014.
UNRETIRED from VP as of 07/12/2019.

20+ YEARS as a Visual Pinball author. Wow, how time flies.

Offline dboyrecords

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 03:03:58 PM »
The best advice I ever heard was never give advice.

I have mixed feelings about the idea... maybe should be more like an annual PBS pledge drive.

Offline Smudge

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
I don't want to make it prohibitive or piss people off either. Nor am I trying to restrict downloads. All I really want to do is make this place run in the black. I figure at 5$ a year that's as much as they'd send to someone at VPU for the "Beer Me". I don't think it's too much- provided I can keep some good tables going. :Rolleyes: At 5$ I won't get rich quick, it'll have to be a cumulative effort to be effective for sure. I think I have 218 members, but how many of those are even active? So you can't make the argument 218x5$=1090$ because it's not what'll happen. I'm sure the cabinet people will not mind as they have enough to build a cab, so what's another 5$ to be able to say you have "everything"?

Vpf has over 60,000 members, but only about 2500+ are silver (10$). So it's all about percentages. Still 2500x10$= 25,000$, and that doesn't take into account that there's 25$ and 50$ members too. I don't see the need for tiered memberships as I don't really have anything to offer that makes that idea worthwhile. It's strictly- if you want to download please support us is all. You'll always get all the speed the site has to offer no matter what. Uploading and forum participation would still be free though I have to figure out how to do that. :Whistle:

This is still a concept at this point.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:19:04 PM »
The best advice I ever heard was never give advice.

I have mixed feelings about the idea... maybe should be more like an annual PBS pledge drive.

A possibility for sure. Watching those things always pissed me off though. :Green: Get on with it!! :Cussing:

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »
I don't want to make it prohibitive or piss people off either. Nor am I trying to restrict downloads. All I really want to do is make this place run in the black. I figure at 5$ a year that's as much as they'd send to someone at VPU for the "Beer Me". I don't think it's too much- provided I can keep some good tables going. :Rolleyes: At 5$ I won't get rich quick, it'll have to be a cumulative effort to be effective for sure. I think I have 218 members, but how many of those are even active? So you can't make the argument 218x5$=1090$ because it's not what'll happen. I'm sure the cabinet people will not mind as they have enough to build a cab, so what's another 5$ to be able to say you have "everything"?

Vpf has over 60,000 members, but only about 2500+ are silver (10$). So it's all about percentages. Still 2500x10$= 25,000$, and that doesn't take into account that there's 25$ and 50$ members too. I don't see the need for tiered memberships as I don't really have anything to offer that makes that idea worthwhile. It's strictly- if you want to download please support us is all. You'll always get all the speed the site has to offer no matter what. Uploading and forum participation would still be free though I have to figure out how to do that. :Whistle:

This is still a concept at this point.

I think the reason VPF gets all the revenue is for the fact that they sell the parts needed to cab users and have a massive place to post and share what they have to say. BUT - I find it all a farce personally as peddling products and people is a real form of being a "loser type" of site. Nothing against Paul himself, but money is not everything. Of course 2,500x10 = $2,500 is good and would be a great idea here but do you want to look and be like VPF? I doubt it as you're a MUCH NICER GUY that those folks are over there.

Maybe a "pass the coffer" thing now and then would be a great idea. I cannot do it for my finances are a shambles as of right now but I can always contribute to the site over something. It's no worse than being at church when they pass the collection plate around.

I would really hate to see Rogue go even though I have really slowed down on making tables. Of course it's not about me or the authors themselves but the longevity of Rogue itself and I can see where you are going with this. You make excellent points Tim.

Just do me a favor. DO NOT get over sized and bloated like VPF has. It's an absolute mess to navigate and even try to get around over there. It's the reason I quit going over there. I always look at this statement though: "good guys finish last". In this case, I think you have nothing to worry about and if possible I would scrape every last penny I had and send it to you. Yes, I would go that far since you're one hell of a good guy Tim.

I'll do what I can on my end to help you in ANY WAY. Just ask and you'll receive. Tell me what you need. Need help? Ask. Give me a chance to show to you that I can help and be dedicated to Rogue and it's proud service to it's users.

I stand by what I say Tim. Let me prove it to you.

Peace out;
Will
druadic
RETIRED from VP on 2014.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 03:44:02 AM »
Thanks Will.  :Smile: I think the reason vpf gets the revenue is it's designed to be that way. He has everything (except for what we have  :Green:) and he restricts things to entice you to upgrade your membership. Since I'm semi-banned (can't post) it takes me almost a minute to download a wheel. At VPU and here, it's almost instantaneous. If I search for something twice quickly, I get a "flood control" message.  I can control speed here, I saw that option somewhere. But I wouldn't do that if I WAS vpf. I've always maintained that to give him 10$ for unlimited downloads- probably a good investment. Anything over that is unnecessary. But he has all the tables. I've heard it said that he had a rip of vpf.com before it went down. This would not surprise me.

Initially I was going to do a tablemakers site, but I quickly realized I'd have like 10 people. So I decided to do a full site. This place isn't real expensive to operate. Say 80-100$ a year. I'd like to upgrade the downloads area, which is about 70$ (one time thing).  Rogue is in no danger of going away anything soon but I'd like to not have to dig out of my own pocket as I live check to check. Mind you, no one member should fund this either. It should be a group effort as this is a group site.

I asked Shiva's opinion on this as he was a part of the old vpf. He thought a "Pledge Drive" may be the way to go. This is all in flux at the moment. I haven't made a final decision, and I'm in no hurry to. :pizza:

And thanks Will for the compliment. There's no need to scrape every penny here. I know your situation, but this shouldn't be on any one member. :Smile:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:48:05 AM by Itchigo »

Offline Druadic

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
Thanks Will.  :Smile: I think the reason vpf gets the revenue is it's designed to be that way. He has everything (except for what we have  :Green:) and he restricts things to entice you to upgrade your membership. Since I'm semi-banned (can't post) it takes me almost a minute to download a wheel. At VPU and here, it's almost instantaneous. If I search for something twice quickly, I get a "flood control" message.  I can control speed here, I saw that option somewhere. But I wouldn't do that if I WAS vpf. I've always maintained that to give him 10$ for unlimited downloads- probably a good investment. Anything over that is unnecessary. But he has all the tables. I've heard it said that he had a rip of vpf.com before it went down. This would not surprise me.

Initially I was going to do a tablemakers site, but I quickly realized I'd have like 10 people. So I decided to do a full site. This place isn't real expensive to operate. Say 80-100$ a year. I'd like to upgrade the downloads area, which is about 70$ (one time thing).  Rogue is in no danger of going away anything soon but I'd like to not have to dig out of my own pocket as I live check to check. Mind you, no one member should fund this either. It should be a group effort as this is a group site.

I asked Shiva's opinion on this as he was a part of the old vpf. He thought a "Pledge Drive" may be the way to go. This is all in flux at the moment. I haven't made a final decision, and I'm in no hurry to. :pizza:

And thanks Will for the compliment. There's no need to scrape every penny here. I know your situation, but this shouldn't be on any one member. :Smile:

Tim,

VPF has FAR from all the tables. IR Pinball has a better selection of desktop tables and he doesn't have my bingos up. I don't want to see those games on his site anyway; I don't know what it is about VPF. Just gives me some kind of creepy "space spider" vibe if you know what I mean.

If it's a group effort, count me in. Like I told you before I will be glad to lend you a hand at anytime to keep the site up or even moderate. I DID moderate a site for Windows security a long while ago, telling folks how to use Zone Alarm Pro and Evidence Eliminator. What a fun site that was.

Anyway, let me know if you need my help. I'm always around.

Cheers!
RETIRED from VP on 2014.

Offline faralos

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
a pay rate sounds good but like others here my money ain't there
 meaning I don't have any type of income at all and every penny I get comes from my girlfriends bank account
all bills are paid by her for now until my disability checks start up anyhow
which hopefully will be in a month time or less I had the hearing already
and  am waiting for them to drop the money into my bank account!
but until then I am broke as in flat broke!!
 I also owe Paul over at vpf the money for this years signup since I did not have it
 but when I do get some everyone who I owe will eventually get their pay
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:34:07 PM »
Obviously this concept is all on hold until I have a downloads area back and working....

Offline slashbot

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:37 PM »
5$ is ok for me, first off all u put a lot of work into this site, u got great tutorials and a fast reply if u got questions. And 5$ is only the price for 2 beers and we get dozens of fun in return.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »
Thanks Slashbot. :Smile: I do try, and this is fun, but sometimes it's more like work than work. :Whistle: Still, it is a lot of fun. :Content:

I think I'm going to try a "drive" type approach. I'll be honest with you guys. It costs about 80 or 90$ a year (hosting), plus another 25 a year (ADrive) I just added for this new system. Anything over that I'd just save for the next year. I really don't want to force anyone to do anything though. Who would want to join then?

I would like to upgrade the Downloads area and that's about another 70$ or so, but that's optional. But, it would give us more sorting options, like looking for a download by letter, etc. Also, we wouldn't need to use an imagehost in downloads, we'd be able to directly upload an image, just like all the other sites.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 04:01:49 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention is I saw a thread at vpf about not linking to other sites because they have "unauthorized mods". We don't have any here, nor do I have any Sam's. I have some on my cab, but I don't have a right to post them as I had nothing to do with the build.

Offline jasclo4

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »
new here and i think that a pay site is not a bad idea but some people cant afford it so if it was free for everyone and paid user get extras i go with that like a limit on downloads for free and not for paid

Offline halen

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 02:41:46 PM »
I love pinball games and i pay site is not a bad idea. I am a simple gamer and i try to do a table but for me its very difficult.
t.