Author Topic: WIP Original Table: Strawman  (Read 9049 times)

Offline lodger

WIP Original Table: Strawman
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
Hey all- new to Rogue but massive pinball enthusiast here. I'm working on an original table (you may have seen if you frequent vpforums)

The name of the table is strawman. Right now i'm nearing the 80% completion mark...working to get it out by halloween :D

The premise is that the game takes place in an enchanted pumpkin patch. It was created by a witch centuries ago, however, while she is long gone, the patch continues to thrive and is a bit of an urban legend in a small town. The legend has it that the patch is guarded by a living strawman and that the place feeds off of the fear of people who wonder into it.  You play as the pumpkin patch and your goal is to terrify the children (balls) as much as possible before they run away horrified for their lives.

The table is going to feature original sound effects and music, (hear the youtube link)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKmJSror9Y

see the attached for a screenshot to date. This weekend i'll be doing the legending on the table and tweaking some of the issues with the primitives, and starting into a bit of coding. Its going be be available both as a desktop and b2s version (Using Itchigo's template for the b2s implementation-thanks to faralos and many others for help and assets. Thanks guys!)

Let me know if you have any thoughts

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: WIP Original Table: Strawman
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:30 PM »
I like the layout! There's something to do with each flipper. George Gomez told me that was kind of important. :Whistle: :Content:

About the template: The coding is fine, but something I didn't know when I updated it was you can't reuse a backglass image. What that means to you is: make your own backglass and use mine for example. If you try to import your backglass image over the stock one it'll mess up. :Cussing:

By the way there is no approval here. It's hot as soon as it's up. I do come in later and change link to the file, but that doesn't affect anything. That's done because all tables are hosted on a filesharing/storage site, making them safely backed up.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Smudge

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:03:53 AM »
I like it!

Offline lodger

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:10:58 PM »
http://speedy.sh/SFJmU/strawman-beta-b2s.rar

Strawman Beta #1- FS with B2s

Full screen with backglass completed for beta! its about 133 megs at this point, and will likely be trimmed down a bit after i consolidate my artwork. Any feedback would be very appreciated. Some notes:

mentions go out to the entire visual pinball community for supporting my development, itchigo who wrote the template that i merged into (was extremely helpful for learning), jp salas from whom I borrowed some table sounds and a target image, Lachkters_VUK2 tutorial which was a massive help, zany for the rings and faralos for the numerous links etc provided as well as the suggestion for the name of the table.

its currently in fs mode, however can be adjusted to be desktop and will run on a single screen as long as the b2s server is installed. if you are running on desktop, you may have to do some configuring to fit your screen; i hope to put out a desktop beta within a few days, but if anyone wants to get the jump on it, its ready to go.

music art and sound design by myself, Lodger.

Regarding gameplay, it plays as a sort of child to Genie and Gorgar- there's definitely a mid 80's feel to it.

the rules take a bit of spelling out, but the highest targets unlock mode activation mode, hit the kicker closest to the center of the table to randomly select a powerup mode. the 3:00 targets are timed, if you hit these, hit the target to the furthest left on the lower part of the table. this will open up a skilll shot with the spinner lane
hit the straw and man bumpers to advance the bonus multiplier
hit the bumpers and other targets to increase the bonus charger. when the bonus charger is flashing hit the rightmost kicker to collect the bonus with multipliers.
I plan to add a visible multiball lock but time did not permit and I'm going to need a bit of a break before moving forward.

Let me know what you think :) #hello world

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »
I'm downloading it now, but it's taking so darn long it'll be tomorrow before I can test it before work. :Banghead:

You might want to think about A Drive. It's much faster. I use it for all the downloads here. Basic plan (free) is 50gb.
http://www.adrive.com/?ai=2e2mba5

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
Here's what I have:

Guiderails (near flippers): Need a support, it looks like they're floating in the air.
Inlane triggers: I don't know if they work. I didn't see any score added when they were hit.
Bumpercaps: I think they need an image, they look too bland without one imo.
VUK: Needs a metal texture. It looks like the standard gray.

Lighting: Awesome- excellent job!
Gameplay/ballflow- Excellent!

Backglass-

I think there's too many digits But I don't know what scores are possible either.

You need some flashing lights/ snippets to liven it up a bit. The backglass works, it just needs some "action" to it. Something to draw your attention to it.

Check out my Distant World. I made a  variable counter that counts up like from 1-6 or so. Then I  turned on all the lights in the "1 group", "2 group", etc.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
Any word on this?