Author Topic: Any Thanksgiving Traditions you care to share?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Any Thanksgiving Traditions you care to share?
« on: November 14, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »
What are you guys doing for Thanksgiving?
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline sleepy

RE: Any Thanksgiving Traditions you care to share?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
Not doing much that day. Watch t.v. Look at floats, then eat.

But yesterday I looked up the history of "Black Friday" at Wikipedia, and
did you know that Thanksgiving Day used to be on the last Thursday of the month,
but FDR changed the day to the Fourth Thursday of the month?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving_(United_States)

1939 to 1941
Abraham Lincoln's successors as president followed his example of annually declaring the final Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving. But in 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt broke with this tradition.[22] November had five Thursdays that year (instead of the more-common four), and Roosevelt declared the fourth Thursday as Thanksgiving rather than the fifth one. Although many popular histories state otherwise, he made clear that his plan was to establish the holiday on the next-to-last Thursday in the month instead of the last one. With the country still in the midst of The Great Depression, Roosevelt thought an earlier Thanksgiving would give merchants a longer period to sell goods before Christmas. Increasing profits and spending during this period, Roosevelt hoped, would help bring the country out of the Depression. At the time, advertising goods for Christmas before Thanksgiving was considered inappropriate. Fred Lazarus, Jr., founder of the Federated Department Stores (later Macy's), is credited with convincing Roosevelt to push Thanksgiving back a week to expand the shopping season.[23]

Republicans decried the change, calling it an affront to the memory of Lincoln. People began referring to November 30 as the "Republican Thanksgiving" and November 23 as the "Democratic Thanksgiving" or "Franksgiving".[24] Regardless of the politics, many localities had made a tradition of celebrating on the last Thursday, and many football teams had a tradition of playing their final games of the season on Thanksgiving; with their schedules set well in advance, they could not change. Since a presidential declaration of Thanksgiving Day was not legally binding, Roosevelt's change was widely disregarded. Twenty-three states went along with Roosevelt's recommendation, 22 did not, and some, like Texas, could not decide and took both days as government holidays.

In 1940 and 1941, years in which November had four Thursdays, Roosevelt declared the third one as Thanksgiving. As in 1939, some states went along with the change while others retained the traditional last-Thursday date.

1942 to present

On October 6, 1941, both houses of the U.S. Congress passed a joint resolution fixing the traditional last-Thursday date for the holiday beginning in 1942. However, in December of that year the Senate passed an amendment to the resolution that split the difference by requiring that Thanksgiving be observed annually on the fourth Thursday of November, which was sometimes the last Thursday and sometimes (less frequently) the next to last.[25] The amendment passed the U.S. House, and on December 26, 1941 President Roosevelt signed this bill, for the first time making the date of Thanksgiving a matter of federal law and fixing the day as the fourth Thursday of November.[26] However, for several years some states continued to observe the last-Thursday date in years with five November Thursdays (the next such year being 1944), with Texas doing so as late as 1956.

Offline Shooby Doo

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:19:22 PM »
My birthday is always the week of Thanksgiving, so it's always kinda sucked for me. Everyone else always gets their own birthday party, but for me they just wait til we get together on Thanksgiving and give me 10 minutes to blow out candles and open presents, then back to Thanksgiving. That really sucked as a kid.

The past 4 years we've gotten together in the north GA mountains, and it looks to be the same this year. It's nice getting out of town for bit, if anything. My Mom and niece always put on a Thanksgiving play, and I've been told I have a part this year. God forbid it ends up on youtube.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:52:14 PM »
Chances are I'll either be at work, or at my Dad's, noty sure which yet. And Shooby, I love that avatar by the way, always did!
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline faralos

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
I used to visit my cousins in Morrisville, Pa about an hours drive from me
 but this year my uncle is atm in the hospital with a blockage of some sorts
and is undergoing tests as I write this so I don't think we will be celebrating at all this year
also my gals mom has Lung Cancer and is undergoing Chemo every three weeks
she is very weak most days so no thanksgiving meal at my gals house either
My mom was to be picked up by me and driven to my cuz's house but she also is taking a rain check
knowing I am flat broke and can't afford to drive out to get her (she lives about three hours from me)
and that their side of the family has enough on their plates what with my uncle in the hospital
so all traditions are on hold for this year
 same goes for Christmas (I am out of work so am NOT visiting
nor exchanging gifts with ANYONE at all this year)
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken