Author Topic: Physmod and EM Tables  (Read 8883 times)

Offline lodger

Physmod and EM Tables
« on: December 15, 2014, 06:30:23 AM »
Hey all

I was playing some physmod tables recently and am really impressed with the improvements to accuracy, esp with the flippers. I was wondering if anyone here has messed with doing physmod updates on EM tables. Seems like often they dont get much love, here being the big exception. any thoughts?

-Lodger

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Re: Physmod and EM Tables
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »
To be honest I haven't even messed with any PM yet. :Whistle: But I could setup an area for them, and even host a collection for everyone.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline lodger

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
cool- i'm trying to sort out how to do the conversions. Pretty drastic improvement from standard gameplay.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 02:05:58 AM »
How should I do this? Setup a main category for PM and you name the file what version it is in the title?

Or should I make sub categories for each? How many different versions are there?

Offline lodger

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:29:15 AM »
I'm not sure it would warrant a separate section, but it might be interesting to see how EM tables/early solid state respond to the physmod changeover. Most authors seem pretty focused on the more modern era recreations, but there are a ton of early tables (i'm a big fan of 70's era Bally and Gottlieb machines) that would really benefit from the new physics engine.

I"m hoping to put together a video tutorial on the physmod changeover after i get the hang of it.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
I made a Physicsmod section in Downloads. Just specify what version it's for. I should've probably done something a while ago, I just haven't had time to get into those yet. :Smile:

Don't forget when uploading you have to copy and paste the description from the download to the release thread. It doesn't carry the description over for some reason. Unfortunately it's the only downloads software written for SMF.

Can we appoint you as "the Argrim of PM". :Content:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:13:25 AM by Itchigo »

Offline Shockman

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
I used that new Physmod section to download Mr. & Mrs. PAC-MAN for Physmod5.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
Thanks Shockman! One thing I had set wrong was having the download start the release thread. :Censored: If you want to start a release thread, I'll add the links.

Sorry about that. :Smile:

Forum/Visual Pinball Releases/Physicsmods

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:39 PM »
Curioius ... what is involved in the Physmods?

I've started going through my collection of late EM/early SS tables, many of which could use a complete rebuild for VP9. Sometimes it's enough to adjust flipper strength, bumpers and slingshots. Also, tables with the default VP sounds seem much better when replaced with better sounds.

But I take it there are more changes made than just flipper and bumper strength?
-PeterMac

Offline Shockman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »
Flippers settings go a long way with the conversion. Flipper strength needs to be a couple thousand at least. The first thing you will notice in a conversion is the flippers will take a few seconds to raise and fall.

Mass - Just that. You can have a light hollow or heavy solid. 1 is default and good as a default.
Strength - This could have just as easily been called speed as it is the power of the solenoid, so a logical speed and strength combination. Between 2000 and 3000 are a good working range.
Elasticity - Just as before, but like strength is just a base, as elasticity, like strength has another dynamic setting (falloff).
Elasticity Falloff - reduces elasticity for faster balls.
Friction - As before.
Return Strength - Replaces return speed. 1=100 % and .5 would be half strength.
Coil Ramp UP - The higher this whole number the longer the flipper coil will take to get to full strength. Now a quick tap of the flipper will move the flipper just a bit using the finesse power setting of the solenoid. Same with an extended flipper... a quick release and tap will drop the flipper just a bit and raise it again under the set fraction of power. So for example if you do this as you catch a ball you can kill the momentum without letting the elasticity bounce it up much.

Table slope will probably need adjusting, as well as playfield friction set ( a large fraction like .8). when you get the basic ball motion and flipper action then you will want to adjust the collisions (power of bumpers, slings, and plunger and elasticity of targets, walls, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:36:22 PM by Shockman »

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 01:20:27 AM »
Thanks for that info, Shockman. Plenty of things to play with  :Green: Now if I could just find a little gameroom time ...
-PeterMac