Main Forum > Interviews

Rosve Interview

(1/2) > >>

Itchigo:
Rosve was kind enough to favor us with an interview. Here's what was said.

1. How did b2s come about?

Well, it was never intended to be as big as it has become. I was updating my first couple of EM tables that I made in VP and I thought it would be nice if I could display the score reel on my second screen.
I spent a long night with lots of beer and I came up with that first version of B2S where the table could send data to another program by setting colored areas on the screen (very similar to a recent "invention" for FP .
This solution turned out too un-reliable, it was workin ok on some PCs but made the table stutter on other PCs.
After another late beer soaked night I had the second version, that is still being used, ready. This time it was working really well on most PCs and people was starting to request more and more tables with B2S backglass. The development of the B2S system has been taken over by Herweh who is really taking it to the next level and making it accessible for non-programmers.

2. What motivated you to do it?

As I said, I needed something for my EM tables that could Display EM reels on the second monitor. There was nothing availabe so I had to make it.

3. What types of tables do you like to play?

You can probably guess that I like a good EM table . All my favoruite Pins are either 60/70's EM machines (mostly Ballys) or late 80's machines before the gameplay was ruined by the introduction of the DMD video mode.

4. What do you do for a living?

I am helping consumer industries (food, electronics, personal care, ...) around the world to design robotized production lines.
This involves a lot of long haul flights. Actually, most of my VP tables are made in transit halls or during the flight.

5. What kind of car do you drive?

I drive an unbelieveble un-cool car. Honda Jazz (also called Fit in some countries).
The only reason I bought it was it's low fuel consumption, but I have to say that I have grown to really like it. It's a great little car.

6. How did you get interested in VP?

I found VP a long time ago when the version was called "tech beta" something, probably around the millenium shift.
To be honest I didn't think much of it and I soon went back to play real pinball again. It wasn't until 2010 when I came across a web page called VPForums that I tried it again. This time it had evolved to be much more like real pinball and I soon built my first Pincab.I was looking for a recreation of FACES (the first pinball machine I bought) but couldn't find it anywhere so I decided to build it for VP myself. FACES has really been the driving force for me to be involved in VP table development.

7. You're a part of the infamous BigBangBar chat, care to comment?

The Visual Pinball world is a little too serious and nerdy for me most of the time.
The BBB guys are much more easy going and likes to have fun. Unforenatly I don't have as much time to chat with those great guys as I would like so I wouldn't consider myself a regular on BBB. 

8. Do you ever get to play real pinball?

Yes, and that is still my main interest.
I have, and have had, many pinball machines over the years. Now I'm even building my own machines .
Some years ago I had to sell all my pins due to new wife .
The ones I wish I hadn't sold off are FACES, Space Shuttle and FunHouse.

9. What is your favorite drink?

Beer! of course. Whiskey comes second. But I never say no to a GT either.

10. What VP authors do you like?

I prefer tables by authors who seems to understand what pinball is about.
In my opinion the best tables are made by Starman, Uncle Willy and Pinuck.

11. Are you a leg man or breast man?

LOL, Never thought about that. Probably more of a leg man I guess.

12. What is your favorite table to play,

Most people would say TZ or TAF but I never been a fan of the "deep rule set" tables, I like my pinball simple and uncomplicated.

I have two contenders. Monster Bash by UW is one of my favourites, it really captures that special feel that I like in Pinball but it only comes in as number 2 on my list. My favourite VP table is Starmans Fireball, it's an absolute masterpiece. Of course, it being a 70's Bally will automatically put it very high up on my list.

13. What was your favorite table to make?

My Black Pyramide clone "Red Dwarf". I have not put as much effort into any other table I made. For Red Dwarf I made many nice new script functions like my fading lights system and my LED display driver. The theme is borrowed from the funniest comedy show ever made, that made the work on the graphics and sound really funny, I was laughing my ass off watching youtube clips hunting for sound fx. My favourite "Space Corp's Directive" is "No officer with false teeth should attempt oral sex in zero gravity"

14. Do you have any kids?

Yes, I have two boys. David is 10 years old and Erik who just turned 8.

15. What do they think of pinball, or their father's hobby?

Pinball is "OK" at best. They like to play on my Gyruss machine. But it can't compare to Minecraft in their minds.

16. What is the number one question you get asked?

I get a lot of requests for B2S mods that people want me to do. Many times the PMs are quite rude with people demanding me to mod their favourite tables. This is one of the reasons why I don't like to visit VPF that much anymore.

17. In your opinion what is the most important thing to fix in VP ?

The flipper physics. It is impossible to recreate how a real flipper works.
No matter how you tune the flipper settings there will allways be "blind" angles where it is impossible to shoot the ball. Every time I make a table, the flippers drives me mad. That said, I have found a fairly good (but not perfect) standard flipper setting that I have used in my WS updates on this site.

18. With all the new sites/forums going up, what's your take on that?

I like that new sites are popping up. VPF has grown too big in my opinion. Too many people that I have no relation to. And mostly discussing their VP cabinet builds. To me all those wooden coffins with a PC and a couple of contactors looks the same.

19. Tell us about your Real pinball build.

I started wondering if I could build a custom pinball machine already 15 years ago. I have not been able to drop the idea but it is only now that I have had time and money to actually do it. This Gyruss machine is really only a test to see if my ideas would work in the real world. It did turn out better than I had hoped for and I will use what I have learned to build a new more complex pinball machine. On Gyruss all the parts are hand crafted but for my next build I will involve my brother who runs a buisness with Laser and water cutting machines to produce real proffesional quality parts. Anyway, this project is 100% ready now and a very fast and fun game to play. the objective is to defeat a number of attack waves to complete a level. Each time a level is completed you are moved to a new planet closer to the sun. The last level is the sun itself where all targets are constantly flashing for mega score (sort of wizard mode).

20. What kind of music do you listen to?

Mostly Swedish music that you probably never heard off.
Laleh, Kent, Pugh ...

21. Any parting comments?

I like what you are doing with this new site. I really hope it takes off.

Thank You Rosve!!

Bob5453:
The B2S King! Nice guy too.

Great interview Itchy and nice questions asked.

faralos:
kewl he sounds so down to earth! Great interview!
Thanks for taking the time Rosve to open up to us about the vp world

Itchigo:
Thanks Bob and Faralos! He is just a regular guy like us! Get's ideas while drinking, I can relate!!! ;D

faralos:
hell some of my greatest ideas were when I was blitzed out of my mind
 problem with that is they vanished when I woke up!
like I know for instance that six shots of tequila makes you invisible...
while ten can make you can fly!
and fifteen makes ANY lady the prettiest in the room!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version