Author Topic: Woohoo we have a downloads section!!  (Read 5902 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Woohoo we have a downloads section!!
« on: February 04, 2013, 03:23:58 AM »
Pintrepid was nice enough to set up downloads last night, and I'll configure it when I get home tonight. Let me know any special categories that I may not think of here. We will also host b2s tables, and the editor too. (When it's out). I don't think we need to host vp8's as people don't really make those anymore, or maybe a all inclusive section for that. What you will do is post a pic in your release thread, and then add the file in downloads.
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline faralos

Re: Woohoo we have a downloads section!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
I only have one vp8 table being made and that is only due to the fact
the ball hangs up too much in vp9 to use the wip there
I did not start it or else it would have been working with vp9
but due to only one pin for vp8 no need for an entire section for them
I can just release it anywhere really once it's done
 it'll be up to you guys/gals whether or not you want to play it
 'It' being the Michael Jackson wip being done in vp8
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
There are yet a whole lot of VP8 tables that are not yet converted to VP9. It's a shame that everyone is shunning the VP8s. There were many cool tables made in VP8 that actually run on the average 'puter with OEM graphics installed.

Maybe there could be a History of VP Section somewhere. I'd be happy to manage that one.
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
I have no problem with vp8, I just don't have any permissions to host any, and most of my own are vp9. If you want to do history of vp, it's fine by me. Maybe Yogi can help you as he has been keeping track of all of vp's versions.

Offline yogiholzer

• Oldie
    • http://yogiholzer.bplaced.net/
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
The older VP versions are available here: http://yogiholzer.bplaced.net/pinball.html
I renamed/repacked the archive files for better readability and clear understanding of
the version numbers, but they all come with original files. Anytime there will probably
be an update including all the latest VP versions.

A similar archive was/is scheduled for VPM. I just didn't take the time to build and upload.

I still have a large collection of older tables, although I somehow curiously lost a bunch of them,
but there's no permission to host/upload them.

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't want to host without  permission. I would share with friends, but not publicly on the site. Thanks Yogi! :)

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
Hi, Yogi,

Thanks for all of those VP versions. How very interesting. It may be worth studying the changelogs for each version. It's curious to see what changes were made and what features were added as they went along.

As for VP8, yes, can't host w/o permission. Kinda makes a downloads section for VP8 a moot point.

What I may instead do is a review of the Best of VP8, using screenshots of the tables, and wherever possible linking to the author's site directly, or one of the other sites like irpinball.org, vpgd.net, pinball-originals.org, etc. It would look something like my Spirit of '76 post at VPF.

It's interesting to see these historic VPs and see what they accomplished, even with the limitations of the older software. By studying these older tables and the techniques that were used in the "old days" to create them, it might be very useful in creating newer tables today with the transparancies, alpha channels and other features that are available nowadays.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:55:55 PM by Pintrepid »
-PeterMac

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »
That's why I decided against vp8, I didn't think we'd have enough to make it worthwhile. The few vp8's I have will become vp9 fs b2s soon enough.