Author Topic: Back from the brink......  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
Back from the brink......
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:56:19 PM »
I just went through hell on my cab/desktop. Couldn't get it to boot to save my life. At first I thought it was windblows (™). Then I couldn't move the cursor by the arrow keys- wtf? I never had problems with that keyboard- in fact, I'm on it now! Only my flexible keyboard would move the cursor by the arrow keys- what? I tried restoring from the disc- Failed. System Restore- Failed while restoring. Startup repair-Failed. I had another hdd (when I was making partitions) that used an unused partition to install new windows on, and hopefully boot from that disc, and get my other one to boot, by going in through the other. New windows installed, but wouldn't reboot either. Wtf do I do now?

Now I admit, I have a reputation for screwing with things and seeing what I can make my computer do. I even had it overclocked all the way to 3.9. (from 3.1) on air cooling. I mean, this computer runs this site (files, and changes, I don't host it myself), my cab, and all my other stuff as well. But that wasn't the case here. No hardware failures of any kind. Making tables keeps me from doing stuff like that... :Whistle:

Finally, I took it to Microcenter, and had tech support look at it. He tried all the same things I did and got the same result- now I know I was doing the right things if he's trying the same fixes. We finally got the new windows hdd to boot (maybe it just wasn't done, I don't know), and now have to migrate all my files onto the smaller (5oomb) hdd. I have a buttload of programs, not all of which I use, but some I want- just in case I want to do something. Not to mention I have to go through EVERY table on my cab and readjust it (DMD's). :Banghead: :Censored: Unless I can figure out how to import my old registry.... :Rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:04:55 PM by Itchigo »
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
Re: Back from the brink......
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:21 PM »
Dang ... and I thought -I- was having a bad day ...  :Grin:
-PeterMac

Offline faralos

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »
yeah same here I'll never bitch about computer problems again
not after what I just read
glad ya' got it going finally though Itch
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:14 AM »
I believe I'm about 95% now, I may have a program or two I missed, but I didn't reinstall them all, I sorted a bit. Even with 16g of ram, I decided to weed through my programs a bit. Now I have to update all the programs (I keep the installers), password/favorite imports, then it's on to VP, and FP.....
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline sleepy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:09:38 AM »
You can import your old registry, as long as the Windows OS is compatible.
First off, open System Restore and make a new Save Point. VERY IMPORTANT in case of Accidents!

Open Regedit and click File > Export. Give the file a memorable name when you do.
I don't know if it matters, but I always make sure the index tree in Regedit (on the left side) has the first entry in the list (My Computer) highlighted. It probably doesn't matter though.

Then you can use Regedit to import the saved .reg file. That will install it.

I'm not sure but I think you can also install the .reg file with a Right-Click on it > choose "Install"(?).