Author Topic: hurricane sandy  (Read 6619 times)

Offline unclewilly

hurricane sandy
« on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »
How many people are about to get screwed by this giant storm.
As of now its predicted to hit land about 30 to 40 miles north of where i live.
Being as its a few hundeed miles wide id have to say im pretty screwed

Offline Itchigo

• Victory is mine!!
  • Administrator
  • Pinball Wizard
RE: hurricane sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
We're praying for anyone impacted by this. Here's to hoping everyone makes it through. Praying for you Scott.

Other people I know in the area who are impacted:
Pintrepid
Wildman
Keg
Raven
Tremble in fear! Behold my Bankai!

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »
Ahnope, ain't gonna be pretty at all!

We're starting to feel the effects of this already. Down Nantucket way, they're already getting horizontal rain.

The shoreline of CT and NY/NJ are going to be the hardest hit. With the full moon, there will be four high tides over the next 36 hrs that will cause unprecedented coastal flooding. They were comparing this storm to the 1938 New England Hurricane ... but now they're saying that this one will be WORSE!

My biggest impact, personally, is that we will very probably have widespread power outages, just like we did last year, with that October Nor'Easter of 2011 ... I was without power just 12 hrs short of 1 full week. Fortunately, there was only 1 day lost on the job ... but no power at the house for 156hrs!

They are talking more seriously about this storm than I've ever seen them talk. "This will be BAD", says Gov Malloy from CT, "You ask if there's anything we can compare this to ... but we have never seen this kind of severe weather in our lifetimes!"

Well, dayamn! Here we go again ...

Stay tuned ... the fun is only beginning ...

-PeterMac
-PeterMac

Rascal

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:22:15 AM »
Hang in there guys!!!

Offline Pintrepid

• Silverball Maniac
  • Administrator
  • Sr. Wizard
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
UPDATE: Mon 10/29/12 12:24 PM EST

The storm is now 250 miles from NYC, but it has strengthened somewhat. Winds at the center are at 90 MPH .

The CT governor has closed all state highways as of 1 PM EST. Tropical force winds of 17-32 MPH are already effecting the entire state. So 1st shift is going home after half a shift today, and there's no 2nd shift ... so I loose at least 1 day of work. We'll see if there's wo Boston MA has shut down all transit systems and is telling everyone to stay home.

The worst impact for most people will be power outages from the high winds, which will bring down trees and telephone poles. Since the damage is most likely going to be widespread, it could be some time before power is restored.

But the hardest hit areas will be along the shore. Tonight, there will be a high tide with the storm very near the coast. The high winds will drive the water very far up the shore. I feel sorry for those who have homes and interests along the shorelines. This is going to be an historic event!

-PeterMac
-PeterMac

Offline faralos

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »
My mom lives in a progressive care unit in Toms River
about 40 miles north of ground zero (Atlantic City)
her area is without power but her facility is already using back up generators
I live in NE PA about 100 miles from her I have had nothing too severe yet
 it's her I am most worried about as she wanted to 'hunker  down and tough it out'
and now it's too late even if she did change her mind as the PA turnpike is closed by me
(I live off the northeast extension) as are the various roads all leading into Jersey where she lives
I am praying for her safety as well as everyone else's too
I am never wrong Once I thought I was
 but I was merely mistaken